Monday 23 April 2007

Sant Jordi

Once upon a time there was a terrible dragon which viciously attacked men and beasts. To pacify it, lots were drawn and a person was chosen to be given as a sacrifice to the monster. One day, the misfortune fell on the king's daughter, who would have died in the beast's claws if it had not been for the arrival of a handsome knight who challenged the dragon and killed it by throwing an arrow to his heart. When the blood of the dragon touched the ground, a rosebush appeared.

This is the legend behind St. George's Day, and the story behind the Catalan tradition that calls every man to give a rose to the woman they love. This day has also become the day of the book, and many catalans give and receive books on this day, as there are tables with books on the streets and writers are around to sign copies of their most recent book.

I love this day! roses and books, what a great combination! I love walking around Barcelona on Sant Jordi, watching at people going through books and with roses in their hands, especially if I have one myself! :) Every year the streets ar packed on this day, it's even hard to walk in certain streets! and I just love it.

Here are a couple of pictures, so you can have a feel of it!! enjoy!



I feel a little bit homesick when I cannot be there on this day, but I still celebrate it here in Nottingham! hopefully my husband will remember to buy me a rose when he comes back (I've already reminded him before he left... just in case!) and we've ordered two books from amazon, altought unfortunatelly won't arrive at least until tomorrow! oh well... I've bought the novel called Brethren for my husband and he has bought me the The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, by Ann Budd. I've heard so many wonderful things about this book that I couldn't leave it for much longer! ahh, just one more day....

3 comments:

Susan @ Damn, Knit & Blast It said...

What a lovely tradition!

St George is the English national saint and we don't do anything like this!

Knittingknutty said...

That sounds so romantic and sweet. That's the thing about the US. There is no beautiful romantic stories to have fun and get excited about. (If there is I must be out of the loop)

Viknits said...

What a lovely tradition, I wish that we celebrated our Saint in such a way!
Your English is percet by the way - I'd never have guessed you're a Spaniard! :D